UE Library News

New at the University of Evansville Libraries!

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fun Searches

Probably only useful if you're searching for a very specific image, GazoPa is an image search database that allows you to upload an image and search for similar images, or search by URL or keyword. It has some issues, as I discovered when I did a search for I Dream of Jeannie and got pictures of folk I don't know when I was hoping for an image of Major Nelson and Jeannie. I then did a URL search for an image I found of the painting Girl with a Pearl Earring and got the results I wanted. But a keyword search yielded movie results and only two images of Vermeer's painting. Fun if you're terribly bored, or if you desperately need an image and aren't that particular about where it comes from, you can give GazoPa a try. You can also tweet from GazoPa, so feel free to annoy your friends with this app. :)

In much barely more relevant news, Google now has a list of magazines from Google Books. No scholarly journals, clearly, but if you're looking for the latest issue of Orange Coast or Cincinatti Wedding, Google's got you covered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home